AIRSTEP Spk Edition User Manual
- <p> <h2><a href="#C1"> Quick Start</a></h2></p>
- <p> <h4><a href="#C2"> 1. Current Channel Indicating</a></h4></p>
- <p> <h4><a href="#C3"> 2. Toggle Effects Indicating</a></h4></p>
- <p> <h4><a href="#C4"> 3. Charging</a></h4></p>
- <p> <h4><a href="#C5"> 4. Upgrade Firmware Mode</a></h4></p>
- <p> <h4><a href="#C6"> 5. USE The JIMI HENDRIX PACK Including TOGGLE THE J.H. Legendary Wah</a></h4></p>
<p> <h4><a href="#C7"> 6. USE AIRSTEP Spk Edition and the Spark App At The Same Time(iOS Only)</a></h4></p>
<p> <h2><a href="#C8"> Firmware update</a></h2></p>
- <p> <h2> <a href="#C9"> Looper Mode</a></h2></p>
- <p> <h4><a href="#C10"> 1. For Loopy HD(iOS)</a></h4></p>
<p> <h4><a href="#C11"> 2. For Mobius Looper(Computer)</a></h4></p>
- <p> <h2><a href="#C12"> FAQ</a></h2></p>
<h2><a name="C1"> Quick Start</a></h2>
Step 1. Power on the Spark 40 amp. In normal mode,you can use all Spark App features except preset editing when using AIRSTEP Spk Edition. If you want to use Bluetooth audio, connect to Spark 40 Audio in your Bluetooth settings.
--If you don't need to edit presets, directly proceed to Step 2.
--If you need to edit presets, ensure AIRSTEP Spk Edition is off. Connect in the Spark App, edit your presets, then disconnect the Spark App from the hardware.
How to do that? Click on the menu > Tone control > "Forget this device".
Step 2. Power up the AIRSTEP Spk Edition. You'll see the connection indicator flashing blue. Once it successfully connects with the Spark amp, the indicator will turn a steady blue.
Step 3. Choose your mode. The AIRSTEP Spk Edition comes with three modes. To select Mode 1, 2, or 3, hold down the A, B, or C footswitch respectively while turning on the power switch. The device is set to Mode 1 by default.
|Name||FS A||FS B||FS C||FS D||FS E|
|Mode 1||Channel 1||Channel 2||Channel 3||Channel 4||Toggle Drive|
|Mode 2||Toggle Drive||Toggle Mod||Toggle Delay||Channel -||Channel +|
|Mode 3||Toggle Drive||Toggle Mod||Toggle Delay||Toggle Reverb||Channel +|
The FUNC button next to the power switch is currently not functional. It's reserved for future use if needed.
<h4><a name="C2"> 1. Current Channel Indicating</a></h4>
The Footswitch LED blinks green to show the current channel. FS A LED to FS D LED corresponds to Channel 1 to Channel 4. To disable this, hold Footswitch E and power on.
<h4><a name="C3"> 2. Toggle Effects Indicating</a></h4>
The Footswitch LED displays the status of Drive/Mod/Delay/Reverb with solid blue for 'on' and off for 'off'.
<h4><a name="C4"> 3. Charging</a></h4>
Use the included USB cable or a standard 9v pedal power. When fully charged, the indicator turns green. Unplug then to avoid overcharging and prolong battery life.
<h4><a name="C5"> 4. Upgrade Firmware Mode</a></h4>
Hold FS D and turn on the power.
<h4><a name="C6"> 5. USE The JIMI HENDRIX PACK Including TOGGLE THE J.H. Legendary Wah</a></h4>
"Ensure to Upgrade to SPK V1.3 Firmware or Higher. The Spark 40 Amp requires purchase verification from the Spark App, so make sure to connect to the App each time the Spark Amp restarts to activate the Jimi Hendrix Pack, otherwise the effect won't work. To use AIRSTEP Spk Edition, disconnect the tone control connection between the Spark App and Spark Amp. For the J.H. Legendary Wah, simply long-press the "DRIVE" button."
<h4><a name="C7"> 6. USE AIRSTEP Spk Edition and the Spark App At The Same Time(iOS Only)</a></h4>
After updating your AIRSTEP Spk Edition to firmware V1.3 or above, you can use the Spark App to control the Amp tone while AIRSTEP is connected to the Amp. This feature is currently only available for the iOS Spark App.
Update Firmware: First, ensure your AIRSTEP Spk Edition is updated to firmware V1.3 or above. You can do this by following the Firmware Update instructions.
Connect Footswitch: Before you connect to the Spark App, make sure the footswitch is connected to the Amp.
- Connect Spark App: After the footswitch is connected, click the connect button on the Spark App.
Note: To use the footswitch and Spark App simultaneously, the footswitch must be connected to the Spark Amp first.
Limitations of this feature
Please note the current limitations of this feature. We plan to address these in future updates.
iOS Only: This advanced feature is currently only supported by the iOS version of the Spark App.
- Synchronization: The pedal toggle state displayed in the AIRSTEP and the App may not be in sync. This doesn't affect the Amp or any other functions. To synchronize them, press the Func button.
<h2><a name="C8"> Firmware Update</a></h2>
Download the AIRSTEP Updater.
V1.2 NEW FEATURE
- Add support of toggle on/off the new pedals in the Positive grid Spark Amp’s 2.0.0 firmware update.
- Fix bluetooth audio interuppt issue when toggling Drive/Delay/Modulation of Spark Amp.
AIRSTEP Special Edition
- To enter firmware upgrade mode, press and hold the footswitch D of AIRSTEP Special Edition and turn on the power switch. When the second footswitch LED from the left lights up, you're in firmware upgrade mode.
- Please allow the AIRSTEP Updater to use Bluetooth.
- Choose "AIRSTEP Spk Edition" in “SELECT UPDATE MODEL”. (If you are the guy using the higher model AIRSTEP/Lite , choose "Advanced Mode"). For Turn_into_SparkControl(It's not for normal upgrade, ignore this part if you want to normal upgrade your Spk) AIRSTEP Spk Users: Choose the "Experimental Mode for AIRSTEP Spk Edition" in "SELECT UPDATE MODEL". AIRSTEP/Lite Users: Choose the "Advanced Mode for AIRSTEP/Lite" in "SELECT UPDATE MODEL".
- Allow the system location permission, choose “AIRSTEP” in “SELECT UPDATE DEVICE”.
- Choose the firmware that needs to upgrade in “SELECT UPDATE FILE”.
- Click “START UPDATE” to start the upgrade.
The device list is empty? Please allow the app to use location permission and Bluetooth permission.
Can't find the AIRSTEP on the device list? a. Please press and hold the D footswitch then turn on the AIRSTEP. b. If you sew DfuXXXXX on the list, this happens when some earlier versions of AIRSTEP enter the upgrade mode, which is normal. Please select this DfuXXXXX to upgrade.
- Failed to load due to network problems？ Click click to refresh the page, if it doesn't work, restart the APP.
<h2><a name="C9"> Looper Mode </a></h2>
<h4><a name="C10"> 1. For Loopy HD(iOS)</a></h4>
This part is only for AIRSTEP Spk Edition’s users, for AIRSTEP/Lite user, please refer to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6rqgBwkX5Q&t
Video tutorial; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uqXDRi1KIQ
Recommend OTG cable; https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DRGJLF5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
- Ensure your AIRSTEP Spk Edition (the $99 version) firmware is updated to V1.4 or above. [Firmware Upgrade Tutorial](https://www.showdoc.com.cn/AIRSTEPSpkEdition/7347640875617134 "Firmware Upgrade Tutorial")
- Download Loopy HD(iOS): https://apps.apple.com/us/app/loopy-hd-looper/id467923185
- You'll need a USB cable for your Spark Amp and a Lightning (or Type C) to USB adapter for your iOS device. If you notice the sound is being recorded from the iPad mic after setting up, it could mean the Lightning to USB cable you're using is either incompatible with your iOS device or faulty.
Step 1: Activate Looper Mode Press and hold the B + C footswitch, then turn on the power to your AIRSTEP Spk Edition to enter Looper Mode. Turn on your Spark 40 Amp. Once connected successfully, the connection indicator will show a solid blue light.
Step 2: Connect Devices Connect your iOS device to the Spark Amp using the adapter and USB cable. This step establishes the audio path.
Step 3: Pair Devices Pair your AIRSTEP Spk Edition with your iOS device via Bluetooth. Note that AIRSTEP Spk Edition can only connect to one smart device at a time and cannot be edited by the AIRSTEP App.
- Solid green: Connected to the iOS device
- Solid blue: Established Bluetooth connection to the Spark 40 Amp
- Blinking blue: AIRSTEP Spk Edition isn't connected to any device
- Solid green + blinking blue: AIRSTEP Spk Edition is only connected to your iOS device
- Solid blue-green: AIRSTEP Spk Edition is correctly connected to both your iOS device and Spark 40 Amp. You're good to go!
Step 4: Assign Keynotes in Loopy HD App Open the Loopy HD app and navigate to Settings > Control Inputs > Bluetooth Key Bindings. Here, you can assign keynotes (sent from AIRSTEP Spk Edition) in the app's Bluetooth key bindings. Refer to the function sheet to understand the functions and assign them in Loopy HD. When it shows "Waiting for events", press the corresponding footswitch to assign the key value. For Footswitch D and E, you need to long-press to assign
The Looper Mode Function sheet
|Function||Rec&Dub||Play&Pause||Clear||Amp CH -/Track||AMP CH +/Track +|
|Function Description||Starts recording the selected track or toggles overdub if the track is already recorded||Plays or pauses the session. If the session is paused, it will restart from the beginning||Clears the selected track. Press twice quickly to clear||Short press: Moves to the previous channel of Spark Amp. Long press: Moves to the previous track on Loopy HD||Short press: Moves to the next channel of Spark Amp. Long press: Moves to the next track on Loopy HD|
|Loopy HD Assignment||In Track Actions, choose 'Toggle record' and select the track||Choose 'Toggle session pause and restart'||In Track Actions, choose 'Clear track' and select the track||In Track Actions, choose 'Select previous track'. Long press to assign||In Track Actions, choose 'Select next track'. Long press to assign|
After the assignment, enjoy!
Video tutorial about the Bluetooth binding of Loopy HD
Also you can assign your own custom function such as tap tempo in Bluetooth Key Bindings.
- iOS 9.2 or higher
> Note: In Looper Mode, you cannot use the “AIRSTEP Spk Edition and Spark App Connect Simultaneously” function.
<h4><a name="C11"> 2. For Mobius Looper(Computer)</a></h4>
Video tutorial; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab0nLCKWs8E
Update Firmware: Ensure your AIRSTEP Spk Edition is updated to firmware V1.4 or above. If you're using AIRSTEP/Lite, update to V1.9.2 or above. Firmware Upgrade Tutorial
Install ASIO Driver: If you're using a Windows PC, download and install the ASIO Driver for Spark 40 Amp. Download Here
- Install Mobius Looper Software: Download and install the Mobius Looper software. Download Here
Step 1. Enter Looper Mode
For AIRSTEP Spk Edition: Press and hold the B + C footswitch and turn on the power switch. For AIRSTEP/Lite: Update to the newest AIRSTEP App, then load and save the “Spark Looper” preset.
Looper Mode Function:
|Footswitch||FS A||FS B||FS C||FS D||FS E|
> Long press to trigger the second function.
Step 2. Setting Up Bluetooth Connection
Pair AIRSTEP with Your Computer:
- Navigate to your computer's Bluetooth settings.
- Select and pair with the AIRSTEP Series.
- If your computer lacks a Bluetooth module, buy and use a Bluetooth USB adapter (4.0 or above).
Understand Your AIRSTEP's LED Indicators:
AIRSTEP Spk Edition (The $99 one):
- Solid Green: AIRSTEP is connected to your computer.
- Solid Blue: AIRSTEP is connected to the Spark 40 Amp.
- Blinking Blue: AIRSTEP isn't connected to any device.
- Solid Green + Blinking Blue: AIRSTEP is only connected to your computer.
- Solid Blue + Green (Blue-Green): AIRSTEP is correctly connected to both your computer and the Spark 40 Amp. You're good to go!
- Solid Green: AIRSTEP is connected to the Spark 40 Amp. The indicator may vary depending on the number of connected devices.
Connect Spark 40 Amp to Your Computer:
- Turn on your Spark 40 Amp.
- Connect it to your computer using a USB cable. This step establishes the audio path.
And that's it! You've successfully set up your Bluetooth connection. Proceed to the next step.
Step 3. Configuring Mobius Looper Software
Launch Mobius Looper Software: Start by opening the Mobius Looper Software on your computer.
Access Audio Settings: Go to the "Configuration" menu and select "Audio Devices".
- For ASIO Device, select”ASIO: Positive Grid USB Audio Device”
- For Sample Rate, select”48000”
- For Suggested Latency Milliseconds, the default value should be “1”, but if you find the sound cracking or popping while using the looper, please adjust it to a higher value to “2” or “3”. Lower number means lower audio latency, so that we don’t recommend the number above “3”.
You only need to adjust these three parameters in the Mobius Looper Software.
Video Tutorial about the setting of Mobius Looper:
Enter the panel of Positive Grid USB Audio Device, make sure that the buffer size correctly corresponds to the number you select in the previous step. “1” = 64 Samples “2” = 128 Samples “3” =256 Samples
Setting completed! Please set the language input as English to make sure works properly. Back to the Mobius Looper App, make sure that the interface of Mobius Looper is in the window focus. Press “R” on your keyboard to test, if it starts recording, enjoy!
- Windows 7, 8, 10
- MacOS 10.5 ~ 10.14
> Note: In Looper Mode, you cannot use the “AIRSTEP Spk Edition and Spark App Connect Simultaneously” function.
<h2><a name="C12"> FAQ </a></h2>
I have a noticeable lag in switching channels, what should I do?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEk-PdrUljg Video tutorial.
PLEASE IGNORE THIS TUTORIAL IF YOU HAVE NO LAG ISSUE IN SWITCHING CHANNELS OF SPARK.
IT'S NOT A COMMON ISSUE SO MOST PEOPLE DON'T NEED TO DO THIS. PLEASE BACKUP YOUR HARDWARE PRESETS TO YOUR SMART DEVICE IN ADVANCE IF YOU NEED TO DO THIS FACTORY PRESET. WE DON'T RESPONSIBLE FOR IT IF YOU FORGET TO BACKUP AND LOSE YOUR PRESET : )
Spark Amp may have a switching-latency issue itself after too many connect times with either Spark App or AIRSTEP Spk Edition. If you find there is a very noticeable lag when you switch channels of the Spark Amp, Factory Reset will solve this problem. If there is no lag, please ignore this tutorial. Again: Please backup your hardware presets to your smart device before doing this.
- Turn the device off.
- Press and hold the “TAP” button when turning on Spark Amp, release the TAP button when it starts to blink.
- Long-press the blinking "TAP" button until all four (1~4) LEDs blink once, then release the TAP button. The TAP button needs to be released as soon as all four LEDs start to blink. Short press the TAP button to abort factory reset.
- If "TAP" button is blinking and CH1 LED is on, the factory reset process is completed. *This process will reset all four presets stored on the hardware as well as Bluetooth pairing information. Forget device in Bluetooth settings before connecting again after factory reset.
It is said that if I use AIRSTEP Series to control Spark Amp, I can't use the Spark App, is it true?
NOT. You can still use all the audio-related functions on Spark App such as playing backing tracks or Jam through the Spark Amp, the only thing you cannot do is editing presets of Spark Amp while using AIRSTEP Series. Spark Amp has two different Bluetooth tunnels, one is for preset editing and the other is for audio, which is named "Spark 40 Audio". AIRSTEP Series only occupy the preset-editing tunnel, therefore nothing affecting audio-related functions. For more info about this please check AIRSTEP Series' product manual.
How do I charge the AIRSTEP Series?
5V-9V are all acceptable. You can either use the USB charging cable in accessory or your 9V pedal power.
Can I use AIRSTEP Spk with all Spark models?
Absolutely! You can use AIRSTEP Spk with Spark 40, Spark MINI, and Spark Go. Just make sure to update the firmware to the latest version to ensure compatibility.
Can I edit my AIRSTEP Spk using the AIRSTEP Editor App?
Unfortunately, the AIRSTEP App is specifically designed for AIRSTEP/Lite and does not support the AIRSTEP Special Editions, including AIRSTEP Spk.
Can I use AIRSTEP Spk for other functions besides the Spark Amp?
No, AIRSTEP Spk Edition is specifically tailored to work with Spark 40, Spark Go, and Spark MINI. Its functionality is focused on these amps only.
Why doesn't Android have a looper?
Android's high system audio latency makes it challenging to develop a reliable and usable looper for the platform. As a result, there isn't a satisfactory 3rd looper App solution available for Android devices at the moment.
Why can't Android use the connecting same time function?
The Spark App on Android is designed in a way that does not currently support multi connections. However, you can try using the experimental mode as an alternative solution:
Why I cannot use Jimi Hendrix Pack after connecting to the AIRSTEP Spk Edition?
Ensure to Upgrade to SPK V1.3 Firmware or Higher. The Spark 40 Amp requires purchase verification from the Spark App, so make sure to connect to the App each time the Spark Amp restarts to activate the Jimi Hendrix Pack, otherwise the effect won't work. To use AIRSTEP Spk Edition, disconnect the tone control connection between the Spark App and Spark Amp. For the J.H. Legendary Wah, simply long-press the "DRIVE" button.